Popular Posts

Monday 9 May 2011

The glorious land of golden opportunities

So you're thinking about coming to Spain to become an Air Traffic Controller? Maybe you're thinking about imparting some lessons at Senasa or the Universidad Camilo José Cela, where Air Traffic Controller lessons are available.
Be aware of what awaits you. If you work as an ATCO here, your wages or working hours, or retirement age are in the hands of the government. Literally. We used to negotiate our conditions, but a Royal Decree (contrary to the Spanish Constitution) came in giving all the power to Aena's management team. Our new bargaining "agreement" which has been imposed, is available on internet, albeit in Spanish: check it HERE
It's a well known fact that Mr Lema Devesa, Aena's Director General President, is a personal friend to Mr José Blanco, the Development Minister who signed all the new regulations that stripped us of our basic rights. So there's no logical reason to think that this wouldn't happen to you.
If you decide to work with an Air Traffic Control Academy, you might find that it isn't even certified. Therefore, there may be legal prosecution from alumni -as I understand is the case- claiming not only the return of their fees, but also compensation for misleading ads or brochures.
By the way, at this point you may wish to check the fees HERE
A colleague's daughter has decided that training in Spain is basically rubbish, and she has gone to Skyguide in Switzerland, where she does a proper 15 month course (instead of our useless 22 weeks!) and earns a decent wage instead of having to dish out fifty grand without any guarantee of work at the end.
You might be inclined to thinking that all I say is basically crap in order to defend our "privileged" position, as has been portrayed in the media, and that you could always refer to the Spanish Judiciary to solve any dispute and introduce Justice. Just check what has happened to British buyers of Spanish property, as reported in The Daily Telegraph. I hope seeing is believing: Here's the report
This sort of action by the incompetent Spanish Government is what led Spanish controllers to the anger which led to the events of the past 3rd and 4th of December, when the Spanish Government, through Aena, closed Spanish airspace to create even greater rage against Spanish ATCO's. Why?
More about that in a future post

9 comments:

  1. Hi Simon. I am aware of the situation in Spain as I have worked with controllers and heard their stories.

    I am actually an aviation English instructor. I would like to know if any of your colleagues would be interested in taking my E-learning aviation English course for free. I need some feedback on my product before it is launched on the market. The course in completely interactive and computer based.

    I would appreciate your help on this. You could contact me on rachel@aviationenglishworld.com if you think your colleagues may be interested.

    Kind regards,

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel,
    Thank you for your offer. A few colleagues have seen it and I believe one has actually entered your course. Maybe you'd like to add some information about yourself here, your history, background or qualifications, so other may make a better informed decision. Are you in the USA? Any intention of working in Europe? Thanks.
    Would you like me to give you a personal overview of your course? You can contact me privately at unasolaneurona@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually ATC Training is available to all Spanish nationals in the UK Resource Group are a well respected company and provide ATC training approved by the UK CAA and to european common core standards at a fraction of the cost.UK student licences are now since August 2011 recognised in Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello NT. Thank you for your post. I am pretty confident that, considering that all qualified Spanish air traffic controllers have now been forced back to their operational duties and out of the classroom as teachers, training is certain to be better outside Spain. Thank you for the info.
    As you know, a course undertaken in the Camilo José Cela University has expired and pupils are now facing temporary unemployment albeit with the promise of a new cpurse for free. As for new pupils -future ATCOs- their prospect is for wages of 1500€ per month or little more. Clearly a very low salary considering the huge responsibility and persecution controllers face in Spain. Let me add a link to your website:
    http://www.resourcegroup.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Simon.

    My name is Diego. I'd like to be an ATC in Spain and I'm considering several options. The first is to receive the training outside, because now the beginning training course cost 45.000€ approx. I have read the NT's message about the student license being recognised in Spain, and I heard about resoucegroup. What I'd like from you is to tell me if going to UK for the student license and comeing back to Spain for the rest of the training is a good option or you have a better suggestion. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buenas, Diego,
    I assume you're Spanish and that's why you want to work in Spain. It has been a long time since I wrote the initial post and we have had some significant changes. I believe there are now new training schools. To be honest, i cannot tell you about the qualifications or reputation of any of them. What I can tell you is that training right now, in Aena, the main service provider in tho country, is a disaster. We need to seriously improve.
    I suggest that your option is the best. You will save money, your training will probably be better than in Spain and your English level, which is certainly important, will improve. I would also urge you to be open-minded about where you decide to work afterwards. Air Traffic Control is in turmoil in Spain. Best steer clear for a few years.
    I hope this helps. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Simon.

    You're right, I'm Spaniard, and that's the reason why I want to work here. I now the information in this page isn't updated but it was reliable and there was people behind it. Your opinion is really valuable for me. I'll contact that training center in UK in order to know the conditions of the courses. Me English level is B2 from an Official Languages School. I don't know if that will be enough ( Standard 4 from ICAO) and this is my maiin fear. I'm listening to ATC feeds, but as I don't know what to expect, I only understand some words. Any help would be welcome. I don't mind working abroad, so maybe after gaining the ATC certificate I'll stay there.

    Thank you very much for the information.

    Un saludo.

    Diego.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just to update on my post from last year. Some Resource Group Spanish students have actually found ATC jobs in the UK all.
    NT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, cool post. I'd like to write like this too - taking time and real hard work to make a great article... but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though. drink drive lawyer Auckland

    ReplyDelete