Popular Posts

Monday 28 February 2011

Arbitration: first contact

I just had a quick read through the arbitration agreement, published this morning. It’s called the II Collective Bargaining Agreement. But it’s neither collective, nor has much bargaining been included. And it certainly is not an agreement: it’s an imposition.
All the media are reporting that it means a reduction in the hours to work, now 1500. There is a provision for only 1500 to be scheduled, but different articles within the ruling also admit a maximum of 1670 hours of aeronautical activity, plus a further 40 for training, plus up to 80 for overtime. I’m pleased at finally seeing a provision for training hours. But why just 40? And furthermore, why are they further reduced, to 25 in 2012 and 20 in 2013? Is that the importance conceded to training? And the hours are even more than before.
Regarding English and it’s own training, the provision is for Aena to hand out and finance the training, which is to be carried out in one’s spare time. I haven’t yet seen if a decision has been made over controllers’ fate if their exams are failed, but I still think that all essential training for the workplace should be carried out and supervised within the workplace and considered working hours
I’ve also calculatedt how close I am to the 200.000 euros “average” yearly pay promised. From my position I should be comfortably on top of that, but according to my situation in the salary tables, I’m just about on 60 per cent of that, considering before tax numbers. Of course amidst the present crisis it’s hard to complain, but it does prove that the media campaign to demonise controllers is still going strong. And far too many lies are still being told.
It seems like there may be a large quantity of money spared by the company to use discretionally.
This was just a very speedy report. After a couple of days I’ll let you know if things are looking any less gloomy. So far it looks like it's going to be even worse than it was last year. I hope someone can prove me wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment